Begun in 1997, Group One is a program designed for children who will enter first grade in the fall and serves as a transition between Children's School and the Boys' and Girls' Club.
This special full-day program (9 a.m.–noon and 2 p.m.–4 p.m.) is held Monday–Friday and uses the Sheldon Hall of Education facilities in the morning and the Boys' and Girls' Club facilities in the afternoon.
The program includes active play, arts activities, swimming instruction and waterfront activities, nature programs, and special events. Children remain with the same teachers/counselors throughout the day. Each of two classes is limited to 36 participants.
Each of the two classes has a head teacher/leader and three college or high school-age assistants. The staff work as a team and share classroom and camp responsibilities to create an enriching, positive atmosphere. At Boys' and Girls' Club, Group One staff is joined by activity specialists including certified waterfront counselors for swimming or other lakefront activities and music, nature, and arts and crafts counselors.
Participants in Group One spend their morning at the Sheldon Hall of Education/ Children's School and their afternoons at the Boys' and Girls' Club. Therefore, in the morning refer to the transportation guidelines for the Children's School, and in the afternoon, those for Boys' and Girls' Club.
Frequently Asked Questions
✔ What do the children do between noon and 2 p.m.?
The program is in recess noon-2 p.m. each day. Children may return home, have lunch or join other family members in another activity. This period of time is the responsibility of each family. Parents are encouraged to refer to the babysitting list if they need to make child care arrangements.
✔ Does my child need a bathing suit?
Children should bring a bathing suit and towel for the afternoon sessions. Swimming (instructional and/or free swim) and other waterfront activities will be offered during the afternoon sessions with the certified waterfront staff at the Boys' and Girls' Club.
✔ How may I register my child for Group One?
- Between mid-January and late-June, call the Chautauqua Ticket Office at 716-357-6250, or...
- Fill out the ticket order form and return to the Chautauqua Institution, or...
- During the season, register directly at the Children's School, weekdays 8:30 a.m.-noon, and Sundays noon-3 p.m. in the Colonnade lobby.
Group size is limited and preregistration is strongly recommended. Many groups routinely reach capacity and late registrants are turned away. Minimum registration is one week.
- Your child should bring a large shirt to use as a smock.
- Include your child's name on all personal items brought to Group One.
- Have your child wear or bring gym shoes each day (no open-toed shoes). Water shoes are also recommended for the afternoon waterfront activities.